Thursday, October 28, 2010

Breeders' Cup Juvenile Homework Session Part 2

The Turk gets back after his homework assignment, getting ready to handicap the Breeders' Cup Juvenile for the Thorofan Handicappers Corner.

While I'm still doing my homework, I have started to think about my criteria for inclusion into the base handicap top four: Shown an ability to handle two turns, has the pedigree to handle two turns, a race career that shows improvement and not regression, training well with bullets or near bullets, final quarter mile times that make my Turk socks shake, willingness to fight in the stretch for position, dirt or dirt sire ability, doesn't necessarily have to have won final outing. That's my short list, and I've got lots of time to think about handicapping, my issue right now is I just don't know enough about the runners, hence this exercise. Let's get back after it!

Jaycito: This new star from Zayat Stables, Trained by Mike Mitchell, is sired by Victory Gallop out of Night Edition.A Place in the Grade I Del Mar Futurity and a Win in the Grade I Norfolk Stakes at Oaktree at Hollywood. J.P.'s Gusto , a runner we will soon look at, and Jaycito swapped Win and Place spots in these two big races, so pay close attention.







J.P.'s Gusto: A son of Successful Appeal out of Call Her Magic, trained by David Hofmans for Gem Stable. Six starts already with four Wins and one Place with a Place in the Grade I Norfolk Stakes at Hollywood, a Win at the Grade I Del Mar Futurity, as well as Grade II and III win. Not shabby.





J.B.'s Thunder: A son of mighty Thunder Gulch out of Rebridled Dreams, conditioned by Albert M. Stall Jr. for Columbine Stable. Two starts, two wins, including the Grade I Dixiana Breeders' Futurity on fake dirt and a turf win at Saratoga. look for other possible starters Maybesomaybenot and Major Gain.







Factum: This son of Storm Cat, out of Starry Dreamer is trained by Aidan O'Brien. There is scant video to be found of him but there are articles o'plenty.

More soon, have fun, Turk Out!

2 comments:

tencentcielo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
tencentcielo said...

I am VERY high on Jaycito (No "N" is in his name). He showed speed first time out, then reverted to a stalking style. I even dared to say he could be the 1st to pull the Santa Anita Derby - Kentucky Derby double since Sunday Silence after his win in the Norfolk. (I've since taken that back)

As much as love Jaycito , one VERY glaring stat cause me to take pause:

In the 6 runnings of the Breeders' Cup Juvenile at Churchill Downs, only ONE horse has come out of the Norfolk to HIT THE BOARD in the Juvenile. (Bertrando finished 2nd to Arazi) 1-18 is an ugly record. Now, will the synthetic make any difference? Not sure, but as of now, he is me very tepid selection.

(deleted the other comment to clarify something)