Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Nomination Is In: June 13, 2011; Belmont Day Late Pick 4 Leg 1; The Woody Stephens Grade 2


Race 8 is the first race of a $1.0 MM all graded stakes Pick 4 and is part of the $1.0 MM Pick 6 for those of you into such endeavours. The Turk is wading into the slop of Belmont and has his eyes on the Pick 4. This first leg is named for the man pictured to the left, Woody Stephens, winner of an incredible five straight Belmont Stakes and trainer of two of Turk's all time favorites, Forty Niner and Danzig.

The weather looks dismal in Elmont, NY today and expect Belmont to be sloppy, muddy and sealed. In general I like horses on the lead in this situation. My pick the very lightly raced Bold Warrior, has already scratched. I'm going to cover three in this race and there is no Superfecta so that's all I'll be doing with this. Pay attention to the scratches and changes all day friends.

BEL Race 8: The Woody Stephens Grade 2



Hard to say who is going to strike the lead and try to keep it. Travelin Man has done it three times in a row and JJ's Lucky Train has done it too.

I've got Arch Traveler, an off the pace Sky Mesa colt as my tepid chalk; Strong at the distance, training well, and a nice win here at BEL in early May.

Little Drama has strung two nice races in a row together but his only off track effort was a hot mess. He most likely won't race on the lead and I'm hedging him down as the day goes on. I like little Drama but I'm not bullish on this track and to conserve betting capital I'm not going to cover him.

I will be covering a wonderful claimer, JJ's Lucky Train; a Place in lone sloppy effort and a good chance to stay near or on the lead.

I'm going to toss Derivative, who has won twice on the slop. D. Wayne Lucas's runner is up against it class wise. I toss at my own peril!

Have fun, more soon, Turk Out!

No comments: