Friday, May 26, 2017

The Nomination Is In: The Arlington Classic G3

Millions Day 2016
The Turk loves Arlington.  My first time at the track was a bit unconventional;  July 31, 1985,  the day the old track burned to the ground.

I was in the US Navy at the time, stationed at Great Lakes Naval Training Center, as an E-3 in Machinist Mate A School.   One normal school night, I was told to grab my gear and get on a truck to go help with a large fire.  I spent about 8 hours doing odds and ends in support of the firefighters and the first responders.

The Turk hadn't quite become The Turk at that point, that didn't happen until the following summer of 1986 that I spent at Saratoga Springs, but I was a race fan and was saddened by what I saw that day.  If it wasn't for the fire it's doubtful we would have the beautiful facility we have now, so if there was a silver lining, it's that.  Now if the State of Illinois can get out of their own way and allow horse racing to grow again.



The Turk thinks the Arlington turf course is the best in the United States and doesn't even mind the fake dirt.  He only wishes they could attract better fields with bigger purses.  I was at the Millions last year, and given the choice between an outrageously priced Travers Stakes Day at Saratoga and The Millions, I'll take Chicago any day.


Turf handicapping is my first love.  It doesn't mean I have my best ROI with it, but I love the tactics of the turf racing and a late turn of foot over a route of grass excites me more than the dirt.  Today's handicap is the Arlington Classic, a Grade 3 run at 1 1/16 miles.  Expect the track to be listed as something better than Yielding, but that's just a guess and take a look as race time approaches.  The weather in Arlington Heights appears to be rather crappy tonight but a bit dryer tomorrow.

Anyways. let's get after this!




Trainer Brian Cox has Cowboy Culture, a 3 YO Quality Road baby out of English Willow.  A 90 Beyer over turf is the race high, set a a 1 Mile distance two races back. Cox is 32% off 31-60 day layoff and 33% in 317 starts over turf, while he and Bridgmohan, up, are 27% together.  Training sharply over CD turf.

Fast and Accurate was eased at the Kentucky Derby three weeks back.  The G3 Spiral Stakes winner looks primed for turf sucess but I don't think I like him to win quite yet until he's done it a bit more.  He's close and I'm covering him in Win Spot.

Giant Payday is 3 of 4 in the money over Turf but 0 of 4 in 2017 and 1 win lifetime in 8 starts.  maybe on the lead and setting early pace but I expect a gradual fade to Place thru Exotic.

Parlor is also 3 of 4 in turf starts and returns to the turf 3 weeks after last effort over grass at CD.  Might really surprise for Eddie Kenneally.

Gorgeous Kitten and Sakonnet offer wild card value for me in Place thru Exotic, with expected finishes no higher than Show. Michael Maker trains Gorgeous Kitten for owner/breeders The Ramsey's and this colt could easily crack the Top 3.  Sakonnet is not as high end as Gorgeous Kitten but the maiden will be game.

I'm looking for a bit of low priced fun:  $0.10 Super of 6-8 OVER 6-7-8-9 OVER 3-4-7-8-9 OVER 3-4-7-8-9 for $6 bucks.

Have fun with it friends, Turk Out!

No comments: