Friday, July 31, 2009

The Nomination Is In: July 31, 2009; The High Rock Spring Stakes at Saratoga

The Adam Coglianese photo is of Stormin Normandy, winner of the 2008 High Rock Spring Stakes at Saratoga.

Today's edition contains a couple of long time Turk favorites, Naughty New Yorker and Stud Muffin (Two names the Turk has tried to emulate to no avail.) While I think Naughty New Yorker is on the tail end of a 47 race career, Stud Muffin at 5 YO is still a threat and will figure in the tickets today.

SAR Race 7 Post Time 5:48 ET; The High Rock Spring Stakes $86,000; 1 1/8 miles on NYS Dirt raced by 3 YO and Up NYS breds.



I like Trainer Maker's Future Prospect. the 5 Yo gelded son of Freud is coming of back to back 100+ BSF races at BEL at 1 mile and 1 1/16. With Leparoux up today , he's 7 of his last 16 starts and 9 of 12 in the money on fast dirt.

I'm placing a claimer, South Fourth Street, in my top four. Winner of his last outing, an N2X on July 17th, I like the quick return to the track for him. He's six of his last 15 starts and has 6 wins in 19 starts on fast dirt. he seems to favor an off track, but I'm looking for a value horse to place in my top three and top four and Trainer Contessa clips along with wins 24% of the time after a claim.

Stud Muffin will be in the top four, maybe even the win spot. My placement is more of an acknowledgement from me I won't win this without some time of wheel, key or box.

Tommassi is coming off a place at 1 1/8 on dirt and is 6 of 23 on fast dirt. Tr. Bond/jock Maragh win at a 32% clip.

The rest of the field is legitimate and no real sure toss candidates in the bunch. I'll keep to just a few bets and we'll see what happens.

The Turk visited Saratoga on opening day. It was a real treat for me to meet some of my horse racing blogging heroes, real talented and pioneering horse racing blogger folks. While our sport may be in a decline, you could not tell from the crowd at the SPA. I shuffled down to the paddock before race three and got a good look at the horses I handicapped for Race 3, the James Marvin Stakes.

That's my chalk, Finallymadeit, who lead most of the race only to fade badly the last few hops. Congrats to Gold Trippi, who the Turk tossed of course. As there were two scratches, I declined to bet and just enjoyed.

Race 3 SAR July 29, 2009: The James Marvin Stakes: 7F on Dirt for 3 YO and Up.



Again I find myself scratching my head over Riley Tucker. It was an exciting race and it was nice to just enjoy it as a fan.

There is some great writing to be found at the Thoroughbred Bloggers Alliance home page. Not only will you find Alliance Blogs, but a feed and a link selection to the best voices in horse racing all over the world.

Enjoy this weekend's races. Mine That Bird returns to action, along with Summer Bird and Rachel Alexandra. All good stuff. Turk out!

No comments: