Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Post Race Analysis for Race Day September 20, 2009: The Woodbine Mile Grade I on Turf and Remembering Summer Squall

Horseshoes and Hand grenades. They aren't exactly the same when being tossed in your general direction.

The Turk built what he thought was a rock solid top 5 in this past weekend's Grade I Woodbine Mile, assembled 36 combinations of superfecta bet and while I came up close, it still left me a feeling of no joy. That's why we refer to the endeavour as gambling, and there is always something to be learned, win or lose.

Woodbine Race 10 9/20/2009: The Woodbine Mile Grade I; 1 Mile on Ontario Turf for 3 YOs and Up.


Pre Race I took a strong stand on a few horses that I liked but seriously missed their valuation on the tote board. I pegged Ferneley (Ire) for the Place spot and that's where he ran. I expected Sterwins to figure in the Exotic ticket and he didn't disappoint, and I figured Ventura to be a contender who ran hard at Gio Ponti earlier this year. What I didn't expect was the misfire of Bribon (Fr) and the poor finish of Rahy's Attorney. Jungle Wave hitting the Superfecta payout did me in and in the end, thirty six tickets got tossed in the proverbial trash can.

The deep closing speed of Ventura over this turf and her fine form coming off a very long layoff was impressive. Sterwins closed very hard as well and always seems to find the tickets.




The Turk would also like to remember Summer Squall, 1990 Preakness Stakes Winner and Sire of 1999 Kentucky Derby Winner Charismatic.

Summer Squall (foaled 1987 in Kentucky - September 22, 2009) was sired by Storm Bird. Summer Squall passed away of natural causes yesterday. Our condolences to his owners, connections and care givers.

Rest in Peace and your humans will meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

No comments: