Sunday, May 28, 2023

The Nomination Is In: The Gamely G1 at Santa Anita

 

Queen Goddess- Benoit (Thank you)
Welcome Friends To The Turk Blog, where we handicap turf races and place exacta bets.  

Happy Memorial Day.  We honor our war dead and those who gave the greatest sacrifice in the name of serving their country.  This blog is written by a war veteran.  My Dad, and my Grandfather, were both war veterans.  I can only speak for myself, but war rhetoric has no place in modern American politics.   A disproportionate amount of middle class and lower income men and women, whose parents are not politicians will die needlessly in the chess game of elites who have big mouths but lack guts.  This blog is apolitical, but fiercely anti-war.  Stop the rhetoric, Democrat and Republican, and defuse global tensions before its too late.

Today let's take a look at the Grade 1 Gamely at Santa Anita.  I would have liked a slightly bigger field, but there is some real quality runners in this field.  Let's get after it!

 


 Royal Heroine G2; 1 April 2023 SA at 1 Mile on Fast Turf

 


The Wilshire
G3; 30 April 2023 SA at 1 Mile on Fast Turf  


  Buena Vista Stakes G2; March 4 2023 SA at 1 Mile on Good Turf  


  RJ Frankel G3; 31 December 2022 SA 1 1/8 Miles on Good Turf  

  Allowance $99K; 21 April 2023 KEE 1 1/16 Miles Firm Turf

As I've said many times, I don't handicap with the Morning Lines.  I don't look at the Morning Lines before I prepare my Fair Odds, and by then I have already handicapped.  I was shocked to see  5-2 on Viareggio (Ire).  I posted the Caravaggio (Scat Daddy) 4 YO last race, a $99K Allowance at Keeneland in Mid April.  Solid late close.  A really good ride by Gaffalione who isn't up today for Trainer Brendan Walsh.  First time at Santa Anita.  4 of 12 in exacta on Turf, all wins.  1 Win in 1 start at distance.  Seemed a bit rich at this point in her career.  

Queen Goddess to me is the top choice.  I'm choosing to look past her Jenny Wiley, which the Turk picked her third in and rightly so, as she was in deep like the rest of the field that day against a very sharp In Italian (GB).   Cutting back, the 5 YO purchased for a whopping $1.5 MM and career earnings of $770,000 (sounds like my bankroll to winnings ratio!) is 7 of 10 in turf exactas, 3 of 3 in SA exactas, and last outing at SA a win on New Years Eve in the RJ Frankel

I think any of Macadamia (Brz) (slight edge) or Viareggio (Ire) and Quattroelle (Ire) could hit the exacta.  Macadamia ran April 30 at 1 Mile at SA in The Wilshire and ran exceptionally well.  The 5 YO seems to have found a new level this year.  Quattroelle beat Macadamia two back in the G2 Buena Vista, also 1 Mile at SA.  9 of 16 in Turf exactas, 7 of 11 in SA Turf exactas, 1 win in 4 tries at 1 Mile.  Viareggio is a flyer, but I'm not a big fan of taking a flyer on an overhyped, over bet, 2nd time NA start horse.  

If I'm looking for bigger value, Trainer Carla Gaines  Closing Remarks: A win two back in the Royal Heroine at 1 Mile at SA  in early April before faltering late as the chalk in The Wilshire.  Same early and Late Timeform Pace Figs as Quattroelle.  The 5 YO is off to a good 2023 but is 7 of 13 in the exacta at SA, 4 of 5 in the exacta at the distance and 9 of 17 in the exacta on turf.  

School Dance isn't my choice to back in the exacta but not out of question for Tri or Exotics.  I tossed Bellamore who does have a good late turn of foot.

$2 Bet, Queen Goddess/Macadamia OVER Closing Remarks and Quatroelle for $8 and my alternative is Closing Remarks OVER Quattroelle, Viareggio, Macadamia and Queeen Goddess , a $2 Bet for $8.  I think I like my alternative better for value.  

Have fun friends.  Turk Out!


No comments: