Saturday, May 6, 2023

The Nomination Is In: The 149th Kentucky Derby G1

Rocket Can: Coady Photography
 Welcome Back Friends to the Turk Blog.  In my last post for Race 11, the Turf Classic, I prattled on about my love of the older horses running over grass, and my lack of enthusiasm for the 3 YO Kentucky Derby runners.  Well, that's still true, but the gambler in me loves big handle and chaos, and with all the scratches including morning line and $2.0 MM winner, champion Forte, we have chaos.  One thing I love about the Kentucky Derby is that one day a year it's like yesteryear, and everyone is a race fan and everyone has an opinion.  My father, rest in peace, bet the grey horses because his sister, my dear Aunt Rose, loved the grey horses.  It doesn't need to be anymore complicated than that.  The good looking fella to the left is Rocket Can, but Hit ShowTapit Trice, Reincarnate and King Russell are all Gr/Ro, so plenty to pick from. 

From a handicapping perspective, I'm watching the undercard and speed seems to be carrying, but I'm favoring late speed to round out my potential exacta contenders.  Let's get after it!


I won't elaborate too much on the why's to my ranking.  I looked at recency/current form, class and effort, plus I do favor late pace figs over early.  I could post 10 videos but really, have fun with this and look for value.

If I just boxed my top ten, a $1 bet is $90.  Depending by the finish, the risk/reward can be justified with the field size and handle expected.  

I will not box however, I will whittle down my potential winners and come up with something a bit more risky but even more reward-y.  

Have fun friends. Turk out!


No comments: