Sunday, January 10, 2010

Post Race Analysis for Race Day January 9, 2010 at Gulfstream Park and Santa Anita

Tough day in Southern Florida yesterday, with temperatures in the 40 degree range and a sloppy and sealed track at Gulfstream. Scratches of six horses in the two races I handicapped left me in a foul mood. We'll get to that in a second, but first I'd like to thank Maria*PA for the nice photo of the highlight horse for me yesterday, Custom for Carlos. Alrighty, lets get to it!




Hyperlinks to Race Charts

Race 5 at Gulfstream Park; The Spectacular Bid ; 6 furlongs on sloppy and sealed track for 3 YOs. Race 7 Gulfstream Park; The Mr. Prospector; 6 furlongs on sloppy and sealed track for 4 YOs and Up. Race 8 at Santa Anita; The San Pasqual Handicap; 1 1/16 miles on Fake Dirt for 4 YOs and Up.



In the 5th Race at GP, I passed after watching the first few races and the way the track was playing. I wasn't sold on Discreetly Mine on an off track, and my second choice Westover Wildcat had too small a price. I say it regularly, the best bets are often the ones you don't place. My non bets saved me money, as I considered a $36 Superfecta Box with 6 horses, but the payback would have been $31 dollars. Hmmmm, $36 for $31. Good non bet!

In the 7th Race, after Munnings, Prince Joshua, Gentleman James and Peace Chant scratched, I took a look at my base handicap and still liked it. I placed a $20 straight exacta on my base handicap and Custom for Carlos held off Past the Point just long enough to return me $118 dollars. Past the Point nearly made Sister Turk and I rich two years back when he almost nipped Curlin at the Woodward. Yes, I loved Curlin and yes I betted against him. The dichotomy of a horse players soul. I digress.

My day of positive ROI but frustration continued when Furthest Land mailed it in and walked home. Why can't I hit the "inquiry" button!

Turk Out!

2 comments:

Amateurcapper said...

Turk,

I'm sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner...trying to get through the work week without getting sick. Completed the week but wasn't successful on the second part and now I'm on the vet's list due to illness. Can't meet w/ you Friday. Can I take a raincheck and catch you when you come back around?

The Turk said...

Rob,

I'm in California as often as every six weeks. We'll hook up sometime soon. Thanks for writing. Turk