Saturday, August 19, 2023

The Nomination Is In: The King Edward G2 at Woodbine

  Welcome friends to The Turk Blog, where I specialize in Turf Handicapping and Exacta Bet construction.  Today's focus is on Woodbine's The King Edward Grade 2.  How does the Turk pick which races he plans to handicap? I think one of my strengths as a handicapper is my experience handicapping all tracks, ages, surfaces, sexes, distances  and class over decades, but also my refinement of my turf racing eye. You'll find me handicapping most weekends 8-10 furlong races with fields of at least 8.  That's what makes the blogging interesting.  I generally use the Bloodhorse Stakes Calendar to help me understand what's in the Conditions Book for the particular weekend and then I use the tracks website to look at entries before I shell out money for a DRF Formulator Past Performance card.  I've used many PP's over the years but I enjoy Formulator and I believe in following a consistent approach to every handicap.  I've gone horizontal more this summer than I have in some time.  I like to anchor P4's to solid graded stakes on the turf.


So, that's it, no great mystery to the why's or the where's I handicap.  I do have favorite tracks, and Kentucky Downs has really become a favorite track of mine over past several years. I just find it compelling, and for a grass junkie, it checks all the boxes.


Bloodhorse Stakes Calendar

Let's get after it! 


I'm on a bit of a time crunch today so I'm just going to jump right to it:  I see Treason, War Bomber and Shirl's Speight as the class of the field with primarily the best late turns of foot and class.  

While I don't think he's the best, this is gambling:  I'm going to wheel War Bomber OVER Treason, Shirl's Speight, Pao Alto and Lucky Score, a $2 Exacta for $8.  Nothing complicated.   I liked War Bomber leaving The Connaught Cup at 7f a month ago, and with a better trip and more grass I like him even better.  

The Connaught Cup G2: 23 July 2023 Race 8 WO.  My handicap link is here:

  

Treason cuts back 1 panel from his Place effort in early July on Canada Day in the Dominion Day G3.  Watch War Bomber get dusted, now two efforts back from today.  


 


 Have fun friends, Turk Out.

No comments: