Friday, August 10, 2018

The Nomination Is In: The 36th Running of the Arlington Million G1


The Turk's beverage before 35th running of the Million
Welcome friends to The Turk and the Little Turk Blog, now in our ninth year and eleventh month of providing handicapping insights to people who never asked for it.  I'm the Turk, a 52 year old bald blogger who has been handicapping since 1987.  My first time visiting Arlington was in 1985, the day the old track burned down.  I was in the US Navy stationed at Great Lakes and I was rounded up, put on a truck.  It was another 22 years before I returned and now I try to make Preview Day or the Million Day part of my annual calendar.  Circumstances this year (Family Reunion/Little Turk preparation for College) has me watching on TwinSpires TV, but I'll be back for the 37th,  God willing.

I could ramble quite a bit about Arlington Park.  It's a shame that Illinois racing isn't better.  The track is fantastic, the staff friendly, the fake dirt plays fair and the turf, in my humble opinion, is the best in North America, and its my second favorite track to play besides Kentucky Downs.  Every track has a vibe.  I've been to many facilities, big and small.  Arlington has a vibe I appreciate, it's my speed, and I wish I could go more often.

I have to give a plug to the good people at Hello Race Fans!  You absolute must check out their post for the Arlington Million.  If you are a data junkie like I am, you will go into overload.

Where is Divisidero running?  Entered at both Saratoga and Arlington Park for Saturday, I've even gone to extreme measures (tweeting the trainer) to know for sure.  By the way, an excellent article written by Natalie Voss for the Paulick Report can be found here on Trainer Kelly Rubley, Divisidero's conditioner (Voss, 2018).  I'm going to go with Daily Race Form reporting that states he's going to the Fourstar Dave at SAR.  I think he had a great shot at Arlington, but I always trust the connections know best.

 Let's get after it!



Let's take a look at some recent and not recent, still relevant video.


G1 Manhattan @BEL Firm Turf 1 1/4 Miles (June 2018)



Watch Robert Bruce (Yellow/Blue Sleeves/Yellow Cap) and watch the bump in the straight but his surge at the finish.  This was no simple 6th place finish.  With an upgraded pilot (no offense to Gaffalione at all) in I. Ortiz for Trainer Chad Brown, I make him my (light) chalk. Take another look at him here in the Grade 3 Fort Marcy where he gets the better of Spring Quality.

G3 Fort Marcy @ Belmont Firm Turf 1 1/8 Miles





G1 Gulfstream Park Turf Handicap on Firm Turf  1 1/8 Miles (Feb 2018)



When a 5-1 runner beats Beach Patrol and Divisidero take notice.  Almannar (GB) in the royal blue Shadwell Stables silks looked impressive with the late turn of foot.  The 6 YO gelding came back and won a 100K OC at Belmont on Belmont Stakes Day.

G1 United Nations @ Monmouth Firm Turf 1 3/8 miles (30 June)



Money Multiplier (royal blue with white stars) ran a good race against 23-1 Funtastic.  With an extra 1/8 of a mile.....

And a few looks at Oscar Performance:  7 Wins in 12 Turf Ties, 2 of 2 at the distance and $1.9 MM lifetime earnings for the 4 YO.

G1 Secretariat Stakes 2017 1 1/4 Miles Firm Turf (turn sound down-bad music alert)




G3 Poker Stakes @ Belmont Firm Turf 1 mile




You can find race replays for Arlington Park through this link.  Of note is July 7th, Million Preview Day with G3 Arlington H. and Stars and Stripes.

I can't say I have a strong opinion on this field.  I've essentially place the runners in three buckets:

Robert Bruce (Chi)/10
Oscar Performance/11
Spring Quality/2

All I think will be near front of pace and all I think can win.  Spring Quality, a Quality Road 6 YO is lightly raced but I'm a big fan of Mr. George Strawbridge and his Augustin Stable and how they train and prepare these amazing turf runners.  80 years old, a classy man.

Almanaar (GB)/3
Money Multiplier/8

They can win, but both need things to go their way.  No reason to not believe they will receive some prize,  Place-4th.

Deauville (Ire)/9

In the lead as the favorite in last year's edition and couldn't stay on.  Did another year improve him? Capable, but he hasn't won in over 10 races.  I'm betting that the uninitiated flock to the Euro invader and I need him to lose for me to win.

Century Dream (Ire)/5

First time lasik, 7 time turf winner, 4 Yo Cape Cross (Ire).  he's been coming up empty in one mile straights.  Won his last LH and has won at the distance.  I dunno right now but would I be surprised if he was Show-5th?  No.


Finally,  insert handicapping every time Jarvis says practice and this is my weekend handicapping mood!




Have fun, Turk out!

No comments: