Saturday, March 14, 2009

The Nomination Is In: March 14, 2009 The San Felipe Grade II


The Turk can't catch a break. Last Week, Papa Turk found himself in the hospital, and being the good Turk son, I hung with my Pops and had a surprisingly good time. This week I blog to you from a Dunkin' Donuts as Turk foundation Weimaraner, Kay, gets herself checked out for some nasty infection most likely caused by chewing on dead birds that she found on a recent walk. Yes, I do kiss her snoot regularly, and no, I'm not amused. I digress.

Today is the first of the big Saturday's we have in front of us: April final preps, First Saturday in May, Preakness, Belmont.....Just massive days for the Turk and anyone who is a fan of the horses. I've handicapped four races today, three with Triple Crown implications, and a 4 YO and up race for fun. I'm going to post them separately because I not sure when the Weimy will be set free.

For the sharp eyed amongst you, that is Georgie Boy, with Michael Baze Up, winning the 2008 San Felipe. The photo is by Benoit.

Santa Anita Race 4: The San Felipe Grade II: 1 1/16 miles on fake dirt for 3 YO's.



This race should be a multiple lengths win for Pioneerof the Nile, but his three wins are by a combined 1 1/2 lengths and a nose. I think he needs to dominate this field to show his focus. He's a Grade I and II winner and his 5 and 6 furlong work is impressive.

There are two horse here, New Bay and He's Really Big, entered at SA on the 15th. if they both drop out, this will be a real yawner. I like New Bay and hope to see him here. I'm looking at Kelly's Leak and I'm seeing a real fascinating career already for a 3 YO. Synth/Turf/Dirt, its all there.

The Turk would like to remember California resident and former Turk classmate, Wendy Zito-Hayes, who passed away yesterday after a courageous battle against leukemia. The talented and beautiful red head left behind a husband, three children and legions of friends and family. Rest in Peace Wendy.

No comments: