Monday, March 30, 2009

Post Race Analysis for Race Day March 29, 2009: The Sunland Derby 800K


The Turk searched for shareable video for this race to post here but could not find any. I'm a big fan of trip handicapping, and there were some unusual trips to be observed here; Mayor Marv putting up suicide fractions of :22 and :45 1/5 before imploding. Santamonicacanyon matching hop for hop with Mayor Marv, taking the lead at 3/4's and then promptly immolating. As I expected pre-race, Kelly Leak would have to close to win, and close he did. To those of you my age, Kelly Leak was that handsome kid on the left, who led the Bad News Bears from zeroes to heroes without making an ass out of you and me. The Kelly Leak who won this beauty is the fine bay Runaway Groom colt just below.

The bizarre trip that Espinoza took with Mayor Marv decimated my trifecta bets. I fashioned a few exacta bets, and luckily one took.

Race 12 Sunland Park: The Sunland Derby 800k; 1 1/8 miles on red New Mexico dirt for 3 YOs.



This was a mostly enjoyable weekend of racing, and this coming week will be as well. The Ol' Turk will be at the Santa Anita Derby and if anyone would like to meet up and talk ponies, or even better yet, have a bourbon and a cigar, you'll find a kindred spirit. Drop me a line.

1 comment:

Gene Kershner said...

Love the Kelly Leak photo...good stuff. Have fun this weekend.