Friday, November 6, 2009

The Nomination Is In: Breeders' Cup Friday Distaff Grade I

That pretty A.P. Indy girl is Music Note, multiple Grade I winner and a force to be reckoned with in today's Breeders' Cup Distaff that was renamed the wretched Ladies Classic by perhaps the same idiots that renamed the divisions in the NHL to bland regional names from the names of former greats in the game. I digress. Music Note is not my chalk but is the morning line favorite and will attract much betting attention.

Race 8 at Santa Anita Post Time 6:45 ET; The Breeders' Cup Distaff Grade I; 1 1/8 Miles on Fake Dirt that may or may not be safer then real dirt for F&M 3 YO and Up.


The Turk is a handicapper. The printed paper of my PPs is where I place my faith. I believe in a consistent approach and an even keel in good times and bad. I'm also a bettor at times, one that doesn't make "action plays", one that doesn't subscribe to the silly bankroll strategies I read in many handicapping books. Warren Buffet likes to say that he wants to jump as many one foot hurdles as he can and doesn't waste his time with seven foot hurdles. That's my betting philosophy, make your scores count and learn when not to bet, the hardest lesson of all.

If I listened to my own rules, most of Breeders' Cup weekend I'd sit on the sidelines. Screw the rules sometimes, I want to have fun and the Distaff is a fun race with some fantastic filly's and mares going at it. Let me shut my trap and get it on!

I'm taking a shot with Life Is Sweet today. She hasn't won since stringing together a few Grade I's and a Grade II at SA in the spring meet and she's lost to Zenyatta three times and the boys, Rail Trip specifically, at the Hollywood Gold Cup. Training very well for Shirreffs and Gomez is up, a couple of folks who win 38% of the time together at SA.

Music Note and Careless Jewel are two very wonderful dirt horses. I have them as high as I do because they are seriously well crafted classy animals and Grade I winners. They are in my top four, with Careless Jewel hedging a bit down on a few tickets.

I'll put Proviso (GB) and Rainbow View into the same bucket. Both Grade I winners and seemingly peaking.

It pained me to place Lethal Heat last. The reality is this should be a barn burner and I think its wide open.

Have Fun, Turk Out!

No comments: