Saturday, November 14, 2009

Post Race Analysis for Race Day November 14, 2009: The Carl G. Rose Classic Handicap at Calder Race Course


The Turk is feeling empowered. Armed with HRTV now streaming through his computer, I was able to handicap, watch the early card races, watch the race I handicapped, count my winnings and confirmed the results at You Bet and then post my results while the horses were still walking back to the shedrow. For a guy who at best relates to Luddites, this is a big moment.

The picture is symbolic for me. There are sexy races, but those are the exception and not the rule on most cards at most tracks. The rest of the races I handicap I view as blue collar events that require a workmanlike approach. I pride myself on being a positive Return on Investment bettor and it's these types of races that make you positive. The picture to me is about concentration, dedication, and well, whiskey and cigars, but I digress.

Race 11 Calder Race Course: Carl G. Rose Classic Handicap $200,000; 1 1/8 Miles on Fast Dirt for 3 YO and Up FLA Registered Bred.



Little Turk and I were both feelin' It's a Bird. That said, he was 1 to 5 moments before the race posted and then did a magic jump to 3 to 5. While I liked the horse, I placed a $2 win bet on my second choice, Too Many Toyz and was rewarded with $12.20 when he won a gut check to the wire. It was a good handicap that I boxed safely, but what made the return gaudy good instead of OK good was the defensive $2 win bet on a underbet 2nd choice.

It's a Bird faded, again. That's three straight races going back to late May. It's time to shut it down for the season and hopefully we'll see him back next year.

Enjoy. Turk Out!

No comments: