Saturday, November 7, 2009

The Nomination Is In: Breeders' Cup Saturday Breeders' Cup Turf Grade I

The Turk's beatable chalk in today's Breeders' Cup Turf is pictured to the left, the Juddmonte Farm runner Spanish Moon.

Race 8 at Santa Anita Post Time 5:57 ET; The Breeders' Cup Turf Grade I; 1 1/2 Miles on off Baldwin Avenue grass for 3 YOs and Up.



Last year's Champ Conduit (Ire) is here again. the 4 YO has only 1 win in 2009, the one start that a horse not named See the Stars or Cima de Triomphe started in. I think he's too good to not be in the top 4 but I'm backing Spanish Moon to win.

Spanish Moon, the son of El Prado, has 2 wins in 2009. He'll run on lasix today. Comes here off a Grade II and Grade I win the last two times out and lost by a nose in a Grade I in Dubai. Fallon gets the mount in Juddmonte Green, Pink and White silks.

Presious Passion is a 6YO with 41 career starts, 38 on Turf. 2009 was a good year for the gelding from Royal Anthem (Theatrical) winning a Grade II at 1 3/8, a Grade I at 1 3/8s and Grade I at 1 1/4. Prefers harder turf and should find the footing to his liking. Trainer Hartmann has abysmal stats, a 7% win rate, 3% won last start, 9% Turf starts. Up and Down, where will he be today?

Dar Re Mi(GB), a John Gosden trainee, has two Grade I wins in 2009 and a third lost through DQ. Dettori up on the Watership Down homebred, the filly will have lasix on raceday to "level the playing field". Solid, not spectacular but very solid.

Might sit this one out or just look for a value win or exacta. We'll see, Have fun, Turk out!

No comments: