Saturday, April 4, 2009

Live Update: Santa Anita Derby Day through Race 3

The thermometer may read 67 degrees, but it's chilly in the shade and the mood is a bit depressed in the stands.


With every announcement that The Pamplemousse has scratched, loud moans roll out of the grandstand.

Through three races, the most compelling was the last, with Hameildaeme (GB)winning the downhill turf race.

Race 4 has already turned into a bit of a downer. The Santana Mile Handicap will only start 4 runners after two late scratches. Rail Trip is currently 1/5 which makes 9/5 Dakota Phone a semi value and Cause at 8-1 real big value. Rail Trip comes in winning 4 straight.

And to give you a sense of the crowd, I'll leave you with this picture.

1 comment:

Sally said...

I was there too. I was almost in tears when I learned about The Pamplemousse from a friend, but went anyway.

I picked race 2 and race 3 winners from the way they looked in the paddock-- got to brag somewhere.

The two best looking horses of the day to me were Rail Trip and Mr. Hot Stuff. I think with another furlong Pioneerof the Nile wouldn't have made it. What did you think?

We left after the Derby-- the giant crowds are good for racing but not for my nerves.

I'm scouring the web for news of The Pamplemousse today.