Sunday, April 5, 2009

Post Race Video Analysis for Race Day April 4, 2009: The Santa Anita and Illinois Derby and The Wood Memorial


The Turk is getting ready to fly East after a great day at Santa Anita yesterday. While the Turk loves to analyze races on his 12 inch laptop screen, nothing beats watching the post parade in person, and seeing true Grade 1 horses go to the gate. This type of thing spoils me and makes me appreciate the racing at Fort Erie even more, as if a grand track like Santa Anita can struggle with these economic times and downturn in public interest, it took quite an effort from the folks who saved my base track from extinction. By the way, the bemused looking 9 year old above is none other then The Little Turk. It pained me to not have the brains of this handicapping team with me yesterday.

I was quite impressed by I Want Revenge yesterday. I was very impressed when he shipped and won the Gotham and now, I think that final 1/8 elevates him right next to Quality Road. I think nothing is settled in the West. Pioneerof the Nile beat some good horses to be sure, but I guess you could say I'm just not sold yet. I've liked Musket Man for sometime as well. I think he'll be a fine contender for many Grade Stakes races, but a leading man he's not. Where does this put The Pammplemousse and Old Fashioned? I'm starting to think Old Fashioned may be a big value pick at the Derby with the hype shifting to others, and that would be good drama for the Larry Jones saga.

Days like yesterday are precious race fans. Enjoy them like the Ol' Turk did.

Santa Anita Derby



Wood Memorial





Illinois Derby

No comments: