Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Nomination Is In: April 11, 2009: The Arkansas Derby GII

The Turk got on a rolling rant this morning when writing up the Bluegrass Stakes. He'll do his best to avoid that again. This is an interesting race, a Grade II with more Grade I talent then the Grade I Blue Grass. But like that race, a mixed bag of current form and surface switches means a bunch of parity on paper. Where I think this race is different is at the top. Old Fashioned lost the Rebel and you would think the sky fell in. The horse can still flat out run, and run at this distance. He'll be challenged for sure and he's not the dominant force that the hype machine made him out to be, but he'll win more races then most and he's trained by the best. For the sharp eyed amongst you, that's 2007 Arkansas Derby Winner, the mighty Curlin with Albarado up.

Race 11 Oaklawn Park: The Arkansas Derby Grade I; 1 1/8 miles on dirt for 3 YOs.



No condescending rants, I'll limit those to one per day. I will preach consistency, and I will apply that with my bet strategy that will key on Old Fashioned on most tickets to win, but I may make an argument for any of my A's.

Little Turk likes Old Fashioned as well and Mrs. Turk is hunting for ROI nirvana with Summer Bird.

No comments: