Monday, July 3, 2017

The Nomination Is In: The Dr. James Penny Memorial G3 at PARX

Fourstar Crook: NYRA Twitter Photo

Welcome friends to The Turk and the Little Turk blog. Happy 4th of July to my American readers.

The Turk is a proud American veteran, the son and grandson of soldiers, and my message today to all my fellow Americans is to remember that we live in the greatest County the World has ever known, the most generous Nation the World has ever known, and the most loyal Nation our allies have ever known.

It's trendy to say "...I wish we were more like [fill in the blank but mostly I hear from fan boys of our Northern Neighbors]"  but the Turk ain't buying any of that and I strongly urge all the America haters to keep on hating but at least remember that being allowed to hate is  a freedom you enjoy only because it was protected by the blood of patriots.  Instead of hating, why don't you consider returning to the middle, where compromise and fairness resides.

I must admit, I almost never play PARX.  I was interested more as a horse fan as the New York bred Fourstar Crook (above) leaves the Empire State for the first time and tries to keep a seven race win streak alive.

It appears right now that it could rain in the hours before and during the race.  Keep your eyes on the Scratches and Changes and Track Condition as it gets closer to post.  I don't anticipate changing my thinking much either way.

Let's get after it!




Trainer Chad Brown (23% Turf, 24% Routes, 20% Graded Stakes, 26% Won Last Start) has Joe Bravo up on Fourstar Crook.  The 5 YO Mare will be heavily bet but I like the chalk.  Steady speed improvement over past yeara and she's stretching out another 1/16 today to a distance she has 4 wins in 5 starts at.

Thinking contrarian, I like Light Up Our World (Ire) to have odds somewhere between 5-1 and 8-1 at Post Time.  Trainer Arnuad Delacour is a 40% winner with first time Lasix, 24% Turf, 26% Routes and 23% Graded Stakes.  Flying under the radar?

Cambodia is a 5 YO War Front mare who comes in off G3 Galorett win on Preakness Day.




She had a great trip and I don't think she'll have such an easy early go in this race.  More impressive was the bad trip and late turn of foot by Elysea's World (Ire).  7 of 10 in the money over turf, the race's biggest Tomlinson on grass (443) and the highest Beyer (99).  Brown's got three in this race.

In the Eatontown Park G3 on June 3, Light in Paris (Ire) had a good trip, made a nice late move, but eased up and was taken very late. Tin Type Gal wasn't much of a factor and is tossed here today.



My Impression is an interesting 4 YO, trained by McGaughey (19% Turf, 20% Routes, 13% Graded Stakes but 26% off a 2nd off 45-180 day break).  Sharp work over Belmont grass at 4f on 26 June.  Cutting back in distance.  4 Wins in 7 starts at the distance.  Lots to like at what should be a good price.

I've tossed four, with Gone Away the only one I think of note.  Trainer Michael Matz (5% graded stakes, 14% turf and routes) had the 4 year old run :36 2/5ths at 3f on 1 July and she is in off a win  at Laurel where she powered away in a N2X 25K OC.  Stepping up.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it.  I'm thinking I'll hunt for exacta with a few combinations and try to eek a few bucks out of it.  I may single 10 OVER 6-1-2-3-8-9, a $2 bet for $12 and then play around with 8-6 OVER 8-6-10-2-3, a $2 Bet for $20.

Whatever you do, handicap your own race and bet responsibly.

Happy 4th of July!

Turk Out!

No comments: