Saturday, May 23, 2009

The Nomination Is In: May 23, 2009; The Arlington Classic (Turf) $150,000

The Turk loves Turf races at Arlington Park. To me it feels like summer. This year I vowed to spend more time paying attention to the turf course leading up the the premier event at Arlington, The Arlington Millions. As many of you, that fine looking colt above, Spirit One, shocked me senseless last year. I plan on looking closely each week at Arlington and we'll see if we can't get better picking these turf races. For my first handicap of 2009 at Arlington I chose The Arlington Classic $150,000 stakes today.

Race 11 (6:59 ET Post) Arlington Park; The Arlington Classic; 1 1/16 miles on Turf for 3 YOs.



The track handicapper installed Giant Oak and Golden Mexico (IRE) as the ML favorites. I don't think he did a bad job, but we aren't looking for safe chalk are we? I'm going to go straight Tri and 10 cent superfecta hunting today. It will be challenging because I think the overall field is very good and I had no throwouts. I'm looking at Orthodox and Southern Anthem as two horses that could upset the apple cart. El Crespo may be back on the surface he really enjoys. The forcast is calling for sporatic rain and there will be several other turf races before this, so course condition may play a factor.

Build your handicap, set a betting limit, and go hunt for value. Good stuff indeed.

The Turk is looking at Hollywood Park later today as well, the Grade II Milady Handicap featuring a titanic battle of Zenyatta and Life is Sweet. The money these two draw will be heavy and some good horse in that field will go off at 15-1. That should make any handicapper drool.

Have fun, Turk out!

2 comments:

Amateurcapper said...

Turk,

I subscribe to the Euro bounce theory...regression from a solid first U.S. showing so maybe GOLDEN MEXICO, stepping up in class, is vulnerable.

ORTHODOX is a great play if the course has some give in it.

That whole Arlington series is very difficult to handicap. I do like CORAGIL CAT to successfully defend his G.3 Hanshin title.

Have fun.

The Turk said...

Orthodox was a good pick right up to him stumbling and bumbling out of the gate! You were right as usual about Golden Mexico too. Have a good Memorial Day Rob.