Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Nominations are In: January 17, 2009

The Turk has his eye right now on two races today.

The first up will be at Gulfstream Park, Race 9, The Mr. Prospector Handicap G3, a six furlong blazer on the dirt for 4 YOs and up.



I think that Black Seventeen will win this race and I think the bettors will agree making any win and most exacta bets not that appealing to me. The interesting thing to me was the seven horse field does not have much seperating it and the final results could be different 20 times if they ran the race 20 times, but I still think Black Seventeen would win the majority of those 20. So the dilema is what to do? Watch the tote board and look for the best bang for your buck.

I like the last three races of How's Your Halo. He's not been a winner in his career, but he had great form into December.

Ikigai comes in with a 37% jock/trainer win rate and a 5f 107 Beyer.

Rollers requires you to through out his last effort and hang your hat on his Fall form and his 5f in :59 at GP last week.

I'm not inclined to take a gamble on Granizo and I would like to see Kelley's Landing win, but I'll keep my tissue box away and not get too weepy hoping.

Little Turk likes Black Seventeen and Mrs. Turk is likes How's Your Halo

The next race I'm looking at is at the Great Race Place, Santa Anita Race 7, The San Rafael, G3, 1 Mile on SA Pro Ride, (which isn't dirt but that doesn't mean the Turk is against it, just sayin') for 3 YOs.



Turk's swinging for the fence on this race. Square Eddie is the popular choice, and he has a G1 resume that is very solid. Now many people are happy winning 25 cents on a two dollar bet, Momma Turk God bless her would be more then happy to go ultra conservative and drop a show bet on him, but Turk is greedy.

I like Ryehill Dreamer. He's fresh, he finds the winners circle, he has a trainer and a jock who see something in him and I like the way he's worked. I'm hoping for good odds or the gamble isn't worth the ridicule if he falters.

Square Eddie should win this race, of this I'm sure. I've read articles this week prasing Brother Keith, but I don't see it yet. I do like the gaudy Frankel/Gomex combo winning percentage, but I see one race on Kentucky dirt. I do like the 6f in 1:12 and 2 extra lengths work at SA.

The Pamplemousse is very consistant and workmanlike. I think he'll be a top four horse often in his career, and I think he'll be in the mix here.

The Turk likes winners. Any athelete needs to be measured by sucess, not flash. Perhaps outclassed, Feisty Suances lives up to his name.

Mrs. Turk likes Fiddlers Afleet and The Little Turk is on Square Eddie's parade.

No comments: