Sunday, January 11, 2009

Post Race Analysis: Race Day January 10, 2009

Race 9 at Fair Grounds, The LeComte Stakes, G3, at 1 Mile on Dirt for 3YOs.



The bettors sent Friesan Fire off as the favorite and were not disappointed. I was surprised slightly as Indygo Mountain has garnered a lot of hype in the past few weeks. Indygo Mountain faired worse then I expected after leaving the gate poorly and never mounting any drive. I was surprised as well by the strong runs of Au Moon and especially Patena. It was a nice $40.20 exacta, the type of ticket the Turk likes to cash, but it wasn't to be. I'll have to change my stance somewhat next week. The Turk has been handicapping without morning lines, but I don't want to handicap scratched horses either, so I may take a quick peek just for those.

And at the Great Race Place, Santa Anita, Race 8, The San Pasqual Handicap G2, 1 1/16 miles on Santa Anita's version of dirt that sometimes people praise and sometimes people scorn (D. Wayne felt the need to trash it this week)for 4 Yos.



About the only thing the Turk did get say right was that Cowboy Cal was mostly likely in better current form then Well Armed. What I liked most was the fight that Cowboy Cal brought to this one, refusing to surrender the lead. I didn't see Informed or Magnum being considerations, and both had strong races with so so trips. I gambled on Mostacolli Mort, who went off as the fourth pick of the bettors at 6.30. He saved ground, came out of the stretch, but had no where to go. The $1 exacta paid $90.90.

And near and dear to the Turk's heart, Turk went off as the overwhelming bettors choice in the 3rd race at Santa Anita yesterday, still looking to break his maiden. The Baffert owned and trained colt had the win but couldn't finish, taking place money for the second race in a row.

No comments: