I was curious as to when the past ten Kentucky Derby winners started their 3 YO racing campaigns.
Interestingly enough, 70% of the past ten winners did race in January. What didn't surprise me is that over the past five years, only two eventual winners ran in January; Barbaro who raced on New Year's Day and Smarty Jones who raced at Aqueduct in the Count Fleet. The last two winners did not start working until March.
Like most things in sports, copycat approaches are common. This Turk hopes to see a reversal that would afford the racing world an opportunity to see the three year old contenders race in four preps before the Kentucky Derby.
Happy New Year's to everyone. My horse related New Year Resolutions are (in no particular order):
1. Attend the Santa Anita Derby
2. Attend the Arlington Mile
3. Turn two people into legitimate horse racing fans
4. Improve the quality of my blog
5. Pay much more attention to the Euros
6. Another great Travers trip with the Turk Clan.
Again, Happy New Year.