Saturday, March 14, 2009

The Nomination is In: March 14, 2009 - The Rebel, Grade II


The race that many people will be watching today is The Rebel, and the colt that people will be watching is none other than Old Fashioned. Trainer Larry Jones marches some fine three year olds towards the first Saturday in May, and he's ramping his charges up slowly, trying to do right by them. I wonder if he ever considered shipping to the Louisiana Derby, but he knows more about his business then I do. The Rebel was a Grade III last year, and pictured is a horse that the Turk isn't too familar with, Sierra Sunset, winner of the 2008 Rebel Stakes, with Christopher Emigh up. Photo by Danny Johnston.

Race 10: Oaklawn Park: The Rebel, Grade II: 1 1/16 miles for 3 YOs.



I think Old Fashioned should and will win this race. When I have that type of certainty in my bones I like to build straight tickets from my ratings board that will include some value. I'll be watching the tote as always in the hunt for value, but I'm intrigued by the lightly raced Hamazing Destiny as a possible ticket gate crasher. Wise Kid and Silver City look primed to contend. This is a tough race for Old Fashioned, as he can only satisfy expectations by winning.

The Turk has been typing way too much the past few hours. It's time to watch more ponies prance.

No comments: