The Turk Blog, established in September 2008, has a narrow purpose: We analyze Turf Horse Races and Form Exacta Bets. Little Turk has retired from the blog and is now a Chiropractor.
Thursday, August 6, 2026
The Nomination Is In: The Whitney G1 at Saratoga
Welcome, Friends, to The Turk, a horse racing blog celebrating its 19th year of not being read.
My primary focus in horse racing is Turf Handicapping and Exacta Bet Construction. That said, I handicapped Dirt racing for the better part of 35 years before I settled on Turf as my niche.
This year I've been rather quiet with my blog, not that I'm quitting; I'll never truly give up my love of the races and blogging, but every few years I take a pause. Whenever I return to racing from these "handicapper holidays," I return a bit rusty, but with a renewed sense of enjoyment. I'm currently on one of these handicapper holidays, but the good people at The Thorofan asked me to share my thoughts on a very loaded Whitney field, and how could I refuse?
Loaded. Career Earnings: Magnitude: $9.6 MM. White Abarrio: $8.6 MM. Sovereignty: $6.3 MM. Nitrogen: $2.7 M. Baeza: $2.2 MM. Antiquarian and Tiztastic each other: $1.2 MM. Only one horse in the field below one million in career earnings, 4 YO Forged Steel, sits at $0.4 MM.
This isn't the sort of race that requires a lot of hand-wringing as a handicapper. Multiple potential winners exist in this field. Only one question comes to mind when I look at this field: Can I find value compelling enough to bet?
I'm not the sort of horse player that plays for "action"; I no-bet many more races than I actually bet. What sort of horse player are you? If you do this long enough, if you invest enough of your hard-earned investment capital into this sport, you have to be able to answer that question. We've seen so many good players die off, age out, or simply jump to other sports books. It's a craft; please work at it and think about your strengths and weaknesses. I tend to get a bit nerdy with my analysis, but there are many ways to go about picking winners.
As I said, I'm a bit rusty, but this race as I will explain (if it is not obvious) is less handicapping and more bet construction. Win bets with a few horses down the tote board might be worth the investment. Exacta bets? I would have liked to see a few more 8-to-10-to-1 closers to couple with a speed horse, but you have to work with what you got. Let's build a base handicap first and then jump to bet construction.
Let's get after it!
First, some videos of interest.
While it was a smaller field, and the track was off a bit, The Stephen Foster G1 might be a good example of how The Whitney will unfold: Magnitude was hustled out of the gate and took the rail. White Abbario pressed. Sovereignty and Baeza laid back and came late, but Magnitude really impressed with a late turn of foot.
27 June 2026: CD: The Stephen Foster Handicap G1; 1 1/8 Miles on Dirt slop.
4 July 2026: SAR: The Suburban G2; 1 1/4 Miles on Fast Dirt.
5 June 2026: SAR: The Ogden Phipps G1 (F); 1 1/8 Miles on Fast Dirt
I built this chart to try and capture current form on these big Beyers (Dirt Starts only). The mean is denoted by the vertical tick line, and circles in green are the last three races, and circles in red are older efforts. I can't say I'm a fan of the idea that Nitrogen is entered here. She clearly loves Saratoga, 3 for 3 with three Graded Stakes wins, two Grade 1s, including the prestigious Alabama. Still, these are pretty deep waters for her. Ortiz jumps off for Magnitude and Velazquez is up.
This next chart visualizes the Timeform US Early to Late Pace figures. It's important to combine this with the eye test, with Magnitude's late speed in The Stephen Foster just as up to the task as the others. What throws off a horse like Magnitude? Winning by 9 in the Risen Star and Iowa Derby doesn't help. Coasting. Sovereignty cracking to White Abarrio in the Oaklawn Handicap and getting toasted by Baeza up the stretch in the Stephen Foster belies his late speed impregnability.
Numbers/Figs + Eye Test + Running Lines/Call Positions is the proper way to interpret these athletes.
I'm really much more interested as a fan of the sport than as a horseplayer. If you look at my chart above, you'll see the morning lines add up to 131%. Two things drive the excess. The first is takeout:New York win pools hold back roughly 16%, so even the final odds on the board will sum to about 119%, not 100%. Pari-mutuel odds are computed after the track's cut comes out of the pool, so they can never sum to 100% by construction. The second is that the linemaker adds cushion on top: he's projecting how the money will fall, and rounding to standard increments (nobody posts 7.3-1), which pushes the total higher still.
If the Turk had more people and access to streaming API data, he'd auto-populate that chart with a column that compared the Adjusted Morning Line to the Fair Odds to the Actual Betting Odds. Until the powers that be in horse racing stop overcharging for data streams, that won't happen, and it's not worth the effort to do for the blog, but I absolutely do it at the track. I literally just sit there right up until post, comparing my fair line to betting odds. That's what you need to do to find value!
Worth noting, Tiztastic at 1.0% and Forged Steel at 2.0% imply 100-1 and 48-1. In a field this small, with no first-time starters and every runner graded-stakes placed, almost nothing is truly a 1% chance. A bad trip for three horses ahead of you gets a live longshot into the picture more often than that. Squeezing the tail is also what funds the top-heavy numbers: Turk's top three combine for 84.1% (win odds) against the public's 63.2%. While I don't disagree and know what I did with the fair odds, I just don't feel the need to take into account the 3 times in one hundred that one of those two horses would run and win this race in a simulation.
If you're really nerdy, I take some shortcuts with my Turk Fair Line that I've never really explained. Let's explore the math.
The Turk takes the Morning Line and creates an Adjusted Morning Line, which proportions each horse to fit within a 0-100% scale. There are other ways to do this.
Turk's Adjusted ML Method: Proportional takes the same percentage off everyone — 23.7% of each horse's raw number. Simple, always valid, and it's what most people use.
Additive takes the same number of points off everyone: 3.89 each (31.13/8). But the problem is, Tiztastic goes negative, which is why nobody uses it on a 131% line with a long tail of marginally poor runners.
Power solves for the exponent k that makes the total hit 100. In this example, k = 1.173. Because raising a small number to a power above 1 shrinks it harder than a large one, the tail absorbs more of the vig. Tiztastic goes from 39-1 under your method to 55-1.
Shin (ProfessorHyun Song Shin- for another Turk rambling day) models the line as containing some fraction of informed money — z = 4.84% here — and backs that out. It hits the tail hardest of all: Tiztastic at 75-1.
Power and Shin are better suited for horse racing because of the favorite–longshot bias. Bettors systematically overbet longshots and underbet favorites, so a longshot's posted price carries more of the margin than a favorite's. Both methods capture that.
Proportional (what the Turk does) assumes the margin is spread evenly, which the empirical record says it isn't.
Proportional makes longshots look more likely than the public really thinks. The Turk's adjusted column says the public gives Tiztastic 2.46%; Shin says the public's real opinion will be closer to 1.3%.
How I adjust for this, and where I say I'm cutting corners, is when I buold my Fair Line odds table and apply a Shin-like adjustment mentally (again, the back office of monkeys is just me), so the 1.0% on Tiztastic isn't as far off the public as Proportional suggests.
This goes both ways, as Turk's fair line 33.3% on Magnitude looked like a big edge over the adjusted 27.24%. Against Power 29.88%, the edge shrinks by a third.
Ultimately, all that really matters is what the public thinks of the horses on the tote board, and one factor that is making it harder for the little horse player to look at these odds against the tote board is how the tote board can move so rapidly through Computer-assisted wagering (CAW).
Unless you're under a rock, a handful of high-volume teams get access to a direct data feed (which the Turk and any other smaller bettor can't get) from the tote system and place enormous bets through automated systems in the final seconds before the gates open. Because pari-mutuel odds are just a function of how the money is distributed in the pool, a large late injection recalculates everything — and by the time the new odds display, the race is already running. You bet a horse at 8-1 and watch him finish at 9-2, all the while these whale teams are getting huge wage rebates. It's just of a number of factors that are making it harder for Joe Horseplayer to scratch out positive returns.
Anyway, I think I digressed.
I like Sovereignty at Saratoga, but I like him at Classic distance more than this. I think Magnitude will take the lead early. Will he get pressured early? Just thinking about the trainers for a moment.
Asmussen's Magnitude stablemate, Tiztastic, will only harass early if Magnitude isn't in the lead, but he's really shown no ability to press early. Mott's Baeza and Sovereignty won't show each other any quarter. Joesph perhaps will press Forged Steel hard into Magnitude early and keep White Abarrio pressing for his opportunity. Same owners makes that decision easier for the conditioner.
It's important to remember we aren't running this race as a Monte Carlo simulation, over and over again within a computer.
I'm going to box Antiquarian who trained very sharp at Saratoga for Pletcher last week, Baeza and Magnitude, a 3 horse, $2 bet for $12. If Baeza or Antiquarian can somehow win and Magnitude in Place, there's value worth hunting.
Why Antiquarian? Why not. I liked him better than the filly, better than White Abarrio. This is more about value and looking for slightly improbable than betting highly probable chalk.
No comments:
Post a Comment