Monday, August 14, 2017

Post Race Bet Review and Video: Arlington Million Day

Permian-Ire  with Buick Up

Welcome Friends to The Turk and the Little Turk.  Little Turk and I are back after a beautiful weekend in Chicago. 

What a difference a year makes:  Last year we broiled under the sun and this year, while not cool, was far from warm.  Either way, no rain, firm turf and a great time.  

I can never say enough about the Arlington International Racecourse.  They treat you good, the facility is well maintained, and the fan experience for me never fails.  

The only downer for me was the death of Permian and the injury to William Buick.  It literally happened the first hop after the finish line and Little Turk and I saw it happen in real time.  The horse appeared to me to have suffered a terrible break and I told the Little Turk I didn't think he was savable and he wasn't.  Bless his heart, he remembers the dead and he immediately thought of when we saw Turk favorite George Washington break down in the Breeders' Cup Classic on a sloppy track in Monmouth.  Buick's father is quoted as saying William is in good spirits and was set to fly home on the Sunday after the race (Fuller) .  With Scottish (Ire) scratching in the Arlington Million, his day was over.  Now lets just hope we see him up again soon.  

I felt bad for the connections, as they were visibly upset on the track, looking for a divot or anything that may have led to the break and the fall.  I commend the track for getting the temporary barriers up quickly.  I personally don't care for how quickly we move on as a sport when one of the runners breakdowns like that.  I understand the horse player attitude, I witnessed it in my Twitter feed the lack of "dwelling" on it, the desire to forget it quickly, the harassing of anyone that showed empathy.  It's just not me.  It bothered me on Saturday and it bothers me the number of deaths at Saratoga this year. Writers I know and respect constantly downplay it, write it off to coincidence, cite the varied ways the breakdowns happened.  Like I said, I hold onto these deaths longer and I don't have any answers, just an observation that the horse racing media doesn't like to talk about the breakdowns more often, doesn't aid the fan in the process of grief anywhere near as much as they could. 

It's hard to call a day where we risked $476 dollars and grossed $882 in returns unsuccessful, but I was a mess most of the day on my verticals while my horizontal P3's were very good.  Silly me not playing the P4's, which would have made me low four figures, but I left that money on the table.  I said I was a mess, mostly on the bet construction side of things.  In fairness, the handicapping wasn't bad.

Anyway, I've got the charts update with Post Race Info and the bet results are below that.  At least it wasn't that chalky.  

Race 7-Chalk $1.50-1
Race 8- 8th on Tote  $27-1
Race 9- 5th on Tote $5.50-1
Race 10-5th on Tote $5.90 -1
Race 11-2nd on Tote $4.90-1
Race 12- 7th on Tote $12.20-1









Turk Out!







References

Fuller, Harriett (14 Aug 2017): Arlington Fall: Buick Recovering in Hospital following Fall From Permian.  The Sun. Web.  Recovered from https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/horseracing/4231799/william-buick-on-his-way-to-hospital-after-fall-from-permian-in-the-secretariat-stakes-at-arlington/


No comments: