Sunday, September 28, 2008

"It is what it is" from Steve Crist

I appreciate the blog kept by Steve Crist very much. From his blog I rip the following passage and he makes a great point regarding this past weekends races....


"....Despite slop and yielding turf at Belmont and the new Pro-Ride surface at Santa Anita, Saturday's record 11 Grade 1 stakes at the two tracks were generally formful affairs, with 6 of the 11 going to favorites and 9 of the 11 won at 3-1 or less. The only jokers in the deck were the two sprint races, with Black Seventeen scoring at 23-1 in the Vosburgh and Cost of Freedom, claimed for $50k two starts back, upending three G1 winners to win the Ancient Title at nearly 6-1. Four of the six favorites sent off at even-money or less came through (Curlin, Zenyatta, Wait a While, Stardom Bound) while Ginger Punch (Beldame) and Mauralakana (Flower Bowl) both finished second."

I could have rambled on for several paragraphs, but Steve said it with an economy of words. It wasn't a good weekend for finding value. I guess that's why we have so many race weekends.

I am going to start Breeders Cup prep this week. I'm excited about my week as well. While the Turk doesn't like to talk much about this, I travel for work often, and this week finds me traveling to Louisville. Ok, I'm geeked. I have about 5 hours to kill between planes, and I'm leaning towards the KY Horseman's Park. The Makers Mark Distillery tour will have to wait.

No comments: